How To Claim an MoT Re-Test free of charge
VOSA stipulates that there are only two sets of re-Test circumstances where the price for a re-Test is zero – that is 'Free'.
- If the vehicle has failed the MoT and is left at the Testing Station for repair and re-Test and does not leave the Testing Station, then the re-Test is free.
- If the vehicle fails because of one or more items on the list of specific items below, provided the vehicle is returned for re-Test by the end of the next working day, then no fee applies.
No fee will be charged for a retest if your vehicle is repaired and returned for a retest before the end of the next working day if the failure is for one of the following:
- Boot lid
- Brake pedal anti-slip device
- Direction indicators
- Fuel Filler Cap
- Hazard Warning
- Loading door
- Rear reflectors
- Registration plates
- Seat belts (but not anchorages)
- Sharp edges or projections
- Steering wheel
- Tyres *
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Windscreen and glass
- Windscreen washer and wipers
- Wheels *
* Not applicable to to motor bicycles and side cars
If your vehicle fails an emissions test because of defective exhaust components, it may not be necessary to replace the complete exhaust system. Even a small leak in the exhaust can affect test readings so have the exhaust components checked at Kwik Fit before submitting your vehicle for its annual MOT Test.