Free MOT retest
What should I do if my car fails its MOT?
If your vehicle does not meet the standards set out by the DVSA it will fail its MOT and must be repaired before an MOT pass certificate can be issued. A valid MOT certificate is a legal requirement in the UK and you will be unable to renew your road tax until a current MOT pass certificate is issued.
The nominated tester at the centre will provide a report on the areas in which your vehicle failed and will be able to provide advice in order to rectify any issues highlighted during the MOT test. Please note that some Kwik Fit centres may be unable to carry out some types of repair work required if your vehicle fails its MOT. For more information, please contact your local centre.
If you think the nominated tester has been unfair, you can appeal against the decision. Please ask for a VT17 form that explains how to make an appeal against the results of an MOT test.
There are also certain circumstances in which you may be entitled to a free MOT re-test.
How to claim an MOT re-test free of charge
The DVSA stipulates that there are only two sets of circumstances in which the MOT re-test is free of charge, that is:
- If the vehicle has failed the MOT and is left at the testing station for repair and re-test and does not leave the testing station, then the re-test is free.
- If the vehicle fails because of one or more specific items (see list below), provided the vehicle is returned for re-test by the end of the next working day, then no fee applies.
Free Retest Criteria
No fee will be charged for a retest if your vehicle is repaired and returned for a retest before the end of the next working day if the failure is for one of the following:
- Boot lid
- Brake pedal anti-slip device
- Direction indicators
- Fuel Filler Cap
- Hazard Warning
- Loading door
- Rear reflectors
- Registration plates
- Seat belts (but not anchorages)
- Sharp edges or projections
- Steering wheel
- Tyres *
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Windscreen and glass
- Windscreen washer and wipers
- Wheels *
* Excludes motorbikes and motorbikes with sidecars
If your vehicle fails an emissions test because of defective exhaust components, it may not be necessary to replace the complete exhaust system. Even a small leak in the exhaust can affect test readings so have the exhaust components checked at Kwik Fit before submitting your vehicle for its annual MOT Test.