Pre-MOT checks you can do yourself
At Kwik Fit, we want you to pass first time so here’s a helpful checklist of things you can check yourself before taking your car in for its MOT test:
- Your lights need to all be in good working order. This includes your headlights, sidelights, indicators, brake lights and not forgetting your vehicle registration light.
- Your tyres should be properly inflated (check your vehicle handbook for correct tyre pressures or use our tyre pressure checker) and have at least 1.6mm of tread around the whole tyre. Any unusual wear could highlight a problem so bring your car down to your nearest Kwik Fit centre for a free tyre check.
- Listen out for any excessive noise or rattles when your vehicle is running. This may suggest a problem with the exhaust system.
- Your wipers and washers should be in a suitable condition to give you a clear view of the road ahead. If your wipers are splitting or your washer feed is blocked, this will require attention prior to your MOT.
- Check your oil levels. Remove your dipstick from the engine and give it a wipe. Put it back in the engine and pull it out again. Your oil level should be between the minimum and maximum marks (check your vehicle manual for specific instructions). Make sure your car is parked on an even level when doing this.
- Make sure your braking system is in good working condition. If the car pulls to one side when you apply the brakes, this may suggest a problem that requires further attention before you take your MOT. If you have alloy wheels, it may be possible to carry out a visual inspection of the braking system without removing the wheel. Check for excessive wear of brake pads or pitted brake discs as this could be an indication that your brakes need replacing.
For more tips watch our video: