Trouble getting going in the morning?
Kwik Fit | Friday 23rd January 2015 1:00pm
It can be hard to get going on a cold winterís day so itís no wonder your car suffers in adverse weather too.
Your car needs extra attention at this time of year and you can reduce the risk of a winter breakdown by following our winter car maintenance tips:
Many things can go wrong with your car during the winter but battery failure is one of the most common issues. Your battery doesnít like the cold and in temperatures below zero degrees celcius a fully-charged battery will only have two-thirds of its power available. As a result, a battery over five years old will struggle to start in these conditions due to their reduced capability to hold their charge. To make matters worse, the use of heaters, blowers and in-car technology such as satellite navigation systems will place further strain on your carís battery and charging system.
Donít leave it until your car wonít start this winter, at your local Kwik Fit centre, our trained technicians can carry out a winter safety check on your car to make sure itís ready to tackle even the coldest mornings. We'll check your battery and some of the other key problem areas that can lead to issues. Our winter safety check is absolutely free, just pop into your nearest Kwik Fit centre, no appointment necessary Ė thatís one less thing to worry about this winter.
What does a winter safety check include?
- Tyres - we'll check the overall condition of your tyres including the tread depth and pressure to make sure they are fit for icy roads
- Battery Ė we'll test the battery's starting and charging systems using the latest Bosch testing equipment to ensure your engine starts in the morning
- Coolant check Ė we'll make sure the strength and levels of antifreeze in your car are adequate for winter driving. Find out why antifreeze is important to keep your engine running.
- Wiper blades - checked for splits or damage
- Windscreen wash system Ė we'll check to make sure your washer feeds are working correctly and top up your screenwash
- Light bulbs Ė faulty or broken bulbs are illegal, our team will highlight any bulbs that need replacing.
Once your check has been completed our trained technicians will discuss the report with you and provide help and guidance if any elements do not meet the safety requirements.
Find your nearest centre and call in for a free winter safety check - no appointment necessary.
Any facts, figures and prices shown in our blog articles are correct at time of publication.
Wet Weather Driving Tips Ė Staying Safe in the Rain
Thursday 27th October 2022
Driving in the rain isnít only a pain but can be surprisingly hazardous Ė here are our top tips for staying safe in wet & icy weather this winter.
What Do The New EU Tyre Labels Mean?
Friday 30th April 2021
The EU is changing the labels that come with new tyres in order to be more informative and transparent. But what do the new labels mean? Find out here.